Cloud Adoption is the new norm. A 2016 F5 report which surveyed more than 3,000 clients had 81% of the respondents moving toward a hybrid cloud environment. And, it is for good reasons ranging from the agility and enhancing innovation in terms of scalability offered by cloud systems.
Therefore, every IT team needs to have a cloud adoption strategy in place. Although every migration varies from one company and environment to another, the underlying factors are common. Here are some options to consider borrowed from the above article on Computerworld.
• Classify the applications based on the ones which need migration or not. For example end of life apps need not to be moved.
• Decide whether to either move the app ‘as is’ to cloud or re-engineer the app to make full use of the cloud resources
• Consider the applications future need for flexibility. This also means how tied you become to the cloud vendor of your choosing. The more you leverage the cloud features the more you will be stuck to the vendor.
• How to support the application while it is on cloud (Private, Hybrid or Public)
• Determine if to rely solely on the Security the vendor provides or if to add more security measures.